The bigs have been spending a lot of time playing with their dolls lately. So much so that there are days when I see them only for brief periods of time when they come out of their rooms to grab that life sustaining stuff called food.
I can hear them through the door, muffled detailed conversations. Every once in a while they come out and share with me what they are pretending. I will have to say that I am totally impressed.
It’s too much to type in great detail so I will do what I like to do the most when it comes to information. I shall make a list.
1. Each doll has a family and Aly has written out the geneology of each doll.
2. Two of the dolls have parents that are archaeologists(based on an American girl books series). So they have been to many places around the world.
3. Their first trip was to India where they spent time in the market place and each doll had a traditional Indian outfit made my the bigs.
4.The next trip was to Hawaii. On this trip the dolls recieved new swim suits also made by the bigs.
5. Now the dolls have traveled to London. I know this because I was asked to print out the London fact sheet from Americangirl.com. and because there was a set ofa London street built in my livingroom this afternoon.
6. So let’s put some educationalese to all of this “play” time.
geography(trips to London, India,Hawaii)
anthropolgy–culturally correct outfits created for India
communication skills and typing—the girls have the dolls email one another
geneology—each doll has a family tree
research skills—information about each place visited was gained before or as they played.
photography—all doll pictures taken by Aly
set production—all sets in pictures and not shown created by Aly and C.C.
social skills—-they played together well for HOURS!!!
home economics–I forgot to mention that the dolls had breakfast cooked for them almost every morning these past few days.
There is probably more but at this hour my brain can no longer list anything else. I just wanted to post to show what unschooling can look like. It doesn’t always look like this here and sometimes it doesn’t look like there is any learning going on at all but that is only because I am looking for it instead of just living in the everyday. Learning happens in the everyday.